Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sunday Soundtracks: Game of Thrones

Hello all!

So, I've been away from the blog a little while... actually a long while. I got very bogged down with rehearsals for our school musical which resulted in me having... no time to sleep. But, I am back now, well rested and ready to go!

I was thinking to myself the other day "Self, what should you do for Sunday Soundtracks this weekend?" And then it hit me. This Sunday is April 6th. And do you know what that means:

GAME OF THRONES SEASON 4!!!!!
Praying for much Joffery harm in the future :) But of course, this makes it an appropriate time to look at the music for Game of Thrones which, in my opinion, is pretty underrated. Its absolutely perfect for the show in both its softer and more intense moments. It might not stand on its own quite as strong as music from, say, Lord of the Rings, but it has a very different flavor to it.

The music isn't particularly obtrusive so it makes a good writing soundtrack. The music is there, putting you in the mood, but it doesn't distract you from your work. I always put on Game of Thrones music when I need to write papers for school as well.

Its hard to point to any stand out tracks but there are two songs which I think have successfully intruded upon the public consciousness. They both stick in your head and heart. I'd be surprised if you hadn't already heard them.

The first of these is the opening theme of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8

Like I even need to say that. This show has one of the catchiest and most appropriate openings. It really gears you up for action and fills you with anticipation. The use of strings is wonderful and you can bet I'll be jumping up and down in my seat tonight when the episode airs. Listen to it if you haven't already.

The second song I think we should talk about is one that sticks in your heart. In that it stabs you in the heart. With fear. You know what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECewrAld3zw

The Lannisters send their regards :)

This song is really eerie even without the context. It has a lot of weight and the instrumental version is hauntingly beautiful. If you can listen to it without breaking into tears, I recommend it for your writing sound track.

The rest of the soundtrack is strong as well, and you can find six hours of Game of Thrones music on youtube if you're in for a long writing day. This music especially suits fantasy (obviously). Its best for anything with a particularly epic setting. I don't think it matches tonally with any contemporary work or small stories. But anyone writing in a vast, complex world? Add this soundtrack to your writing play list.

Now we just have to wait for the episode tonight. And you know what Game of Thrones?




Happy season 4 everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment