Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Edit 9: Punctuation

We’re almost there. Now down to the bare bones of the final line edits, we turn to one of the smallest but most important elements of a polished manuscript: punctuation.

I hate punctuation. Not that I don’t acknowledge its importance but I’m just so bad at it. Commas are my mortal enemy, and every sentence feels like a puzzle. A puzzle full of questions like what punctuation goes here? Two or three commas in this sentence? Semi colon or period?

Dialogue punctuation is the worst as I have to meticulously comb through and make sure I’m using commas and periods in the right places.

I can only assume that my deeply rooted hatred of punctuation came from the fact my teachers never taught me the exact rules of punctuation or grammar in school. See I was in the advanced classes as soon as I hit middle school and apparently teachers assume that you already know the basics if you’re in advanced classes so no one ever told us how to place commas. I had to learn that stuff on my own, and it was not pleasant.

Now I am at least clear on the rules, but it’s not instinctual for me to implement them, so this edit may seem simple, it’s a time consuming one for me.

But at least I can see the finish line!


What punctuation mark is the bane of your existence? Let me know in the comments. 

1 comment:

  1. Get  #exback, restore your marriage,
    stop your lover, #husband from #cheating on you get
    spiritual help to bring your man/woman/girl and boy
    today restore your broken heart and become reunited
    with your loved one's...

    Get #PROTECTIONS. secure your life, job, marriage and
    career from every #insecurities... get healings, get
    deliverance, courage, strength from every weaknesses

    Get #PREGNANCY. ignore your doctor's report that you
    that you can't give birth again goddess sunlight is
    telling you that it is a lie that you will and can
    give birth.. contact him now on his email let your
    desires, wishes, dreams be granted to you... email:
    EMUTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM and let the son of oloku
    fight for your case to set you free. 
    website: https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    What's app +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete